Weight training will help accelerate fat loss, but diet and cardio play big roles
Weight training for fat loss has a lot of nonsense associated with it. If you want to burn belly fat and increase lean muscle, it will take more than weight training to get rid of male belly fat.
Before we go any further, let's get real. This way, you can decide if you want to read the rest of this, or go to another site that promises you can lose 15 lbs of flab in three weeks...and replace it with dense, rock hard muscle.
Trust me, if things actually worked that way, why would Olympic and professional athletes focus so hard on their diets and interval training workouts?
Doesn't it strike you as a bit weird that know-it-alls in the gym promote this nonsense, but guys who make their living with their bodies go at it completely differently?
Here is the truth: Weight training will definitely help you accelerate fat loss, but it must be combined with an intelligent diet and structured cardio.
Weight Training For Fat Loss Fact And Fiction
* The #1 Myth when it comes to weights and fat loss is: Do high reps for definition, low reps for bulk. What a bunch of baloney. Sure, if you did 3x25 bench presses with 100 lbs, you'd get red in the face, and a bit out of breath...but you'd probably only burn up about 100 calories total.
* The truth is high reps give you local muscular endurance, low reps with heavier weights build STRENGTH. Athletes rotate their workouts with each.
*Myth #2: Do your workouts on a Swiss Ball to burn belly fat. Holding your balance forces you to utilize more muscle groups. More hokey nonsense.
* Athletes use Swiss Balls for abdominal work and agility work. Their weight workouts to keep their fat levels in check center on lifts that increase their strength, like: Squats, Deadlifts, Dumbbell Presses, Benches, Weighted Pull-Ups, Weighted Dips, and Rows. All of these increase lean muscle mass.
*Myth #3: To burn belly fat, you must lift intensely 5-6 days per week. You should do 10 sets of 10 reps for each exercise. Yeah right. You'll last about a two weeks before you burnout mentally and physically.
* Weight training for fat loss certainly needs to be done intensely, but only for 2-3 workouts per week, and last an hour at the most. Your aim in the weight room is to build strength and gain lean muscle tissue to increase metabolism naturally.
Weight Training For Fat Loss Strategies
* Your weight training to burn belly fat MUST be combined with a diet based on good food choices. You have to eat consciously, and you have to eat less.
* Get rid of the notion that if you workout hard, you can eat whatever you please. It is nonsense, and it will keep you flabby.
* When you lose fat, you will lose size...however, when you are more defined, you not only look stronger, you look bigger. Funny how that works, huh?
* Try to stay with free weights. Barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells. Old-school is the way to go. Use the machines sparingly.
* Continually change your weight exercises to challenge your muscle groups. Flat Bench/Incline Bench - Squats/Leg Press - Weighted Dips/Dips for Reps. You will figure it out.
* Design hard days and easy days. Design hard weeks and easy weeks. This is how athletes train. Throughout both cycles, maintain a calorie deficit to burn belly fat.
* Cardio can be done everyday, but only do intense interval workouts twice a week. You can use more moderate intervals the other days. NEVER just get on a treadmill or a stationary bike and read a magazine. That is NOT training for fat loss.
* Get your protein from solid sources, NOT protein shakes. They will just keep you fat.
Weight Training For Fat Loss Proven Programs
If you are sincere about adding weight training to your fat loss plan, go with a proven program.
To me, The Truth About Six Pack Abs is the best starter program. It combines optimal nutrition with weight training that has gotten proven results.
Both of these programs are progressive, and you will pass through several levels of periodization. There is no nonsense in either. You will NOT have to purchase any worthless supplements, you will NOT have to buy any hokey exercise gadgets like you see on late night cable TV.
Either will help you reach your weight training for fat loss goals.